At The Boss Clinic, LLC, we offer Naturopathic Medicine via in-person and telehealth visits for residents of Oregon. We're excited to work with you on improving your health, so jump over to the Book Now page when you are ready to book your appointment! Or, keep scrolling down to learn more about Naturopathic Medicine and the services we offer.
Naturopathic Medicine: Principles and Practice
Naturopathic Doctors are trained to practice as primary care physicians in both conventional and natural methods to treat disease. Natural methods include dietary modifications, lifestyle interventions, botanical medicine, physical medicine, minor surgery, nutritional supplements, IV therapy, and counseling. The following principles from the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians guides treatment decisions:
- The Healing Power of Nature (Vis Medicatrix Naturae): Naturopathic medicine recognizes an inherent self-healing process in people that is ordered and intelligent. Naturopathic physicians act to identify and remove obstacles to healing and recovery, and to facilitate and augment this inherent self-healing process.
- Identify and Treat the Causes (Tolle Causam): The naturopathic physician seeks to identify and remove the underlying causes of illness rather than to merely eliminate or suppress symptoms.
- First Do No Harm (Primum Non Nocere): Naturopathic physicians follow three guidelines to avoid harming the patient:
- Utilize methods and medicinal substances which minimize the risk of harmful side effects, using the least force necessary to diagnose and treat;
- Avoid when possible the harmful suppression of symptoms; and
- Acknowledge, respect, and work with individuals’ self-healing process.
- Doctor as Teacher (Docere): Naturopathic physicians educate their patients and encourage self-responsibility for health. They also recognize and employ the therapeutic potential of the doctor-patient relationship.
- Treat the Whole Person: Naturopathic physicians treat each patient by taking into account individual physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental, social, and other factors. Since total health also includes spiritual health, naturopathic physicians encourage individuals to pursue their personal spiritual development.
- Prevention: Naturopathic physicians emphasize the prevention of disease by assessing risk factors, heredity and susceptibility to disease, and by making appropriate interventions in partnership with their patients to prevent illness.
Naturopathic Doctors typically spend a longer amount of time with their patients than conventional doctors. Initial visits are often an hour or more and follow ups are 30 minutes to an hour on average. This greater amount of time allows for a healing relationship to develop between the doctor and patient, and allows time to discover the root cause of the disease rather than to simply provide palliation of symptoms.
What conditions do you treat?
Naturopathic medicine focuses on treating the individual as a whole person (body, mind, and spirit) and seeks to find the root cause of the disease or symptom. Therefore, it would be erroneous of us to state that we treat "xyz" symptoms or disease because we treat people. Whatever the ailment, we will work with you to optimize your health and increase your resilience to dis-ease.
Here is a list of just a few symptoms and conditions that naturopathic medicine can help you with. This list is not all inclusive nor exhaustive. Feel free to ask us about problems that you are experiencing that are not on this list as well!
- Immune support for flu, colds, and other illnesses
- Sinusitis, allergies, asthma
- Hormone Balancing
- Thyroid conditions
- High blood pressure
- Osteoporosis and osteopenia
- Sports injuries
- Musculoskeletal pain
- Neurological Conditions: Migraines, Trigeminal neuralgia, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease, Seizure disorders, Memory loss, Traumatic Brain Injury, Dementia, Stroke recovery...
- Vestibular disorders, BPPV, Vertigo...
- GI Health: dysphagia, IBS, chronic diarrhea, chronic constipation, ulcers, acid reflux, indigestion, IBD, SIBO, parasites, food allergies...
- Autoimmune conditions
- And more!
What modalities and naturopathic services do you offer?
Herbal formulations have been used for centuries in the treatment and prevention of disease. Many of our modern medicines originated from substances found in the natural plant world. Naturopathic physicians embrace the time honored traditional knowledge of the plant world as well as the modern research in botanical medicine. By combining research and traditional knowledge, we can help you find the right herbal formula to address your specific needs. We can prescribe custom tinctures, pre-formulated botanical encapsulations, teas,and herbal powders to be used in food.
If you suffer from a sports injury or pain, you may benefit from physical medicine techniques. We can provide the following:
- Grades I-V manipulations (spinal and joint manipulations)
- Nasal Specific Treatment
- Massage techniques over areas of muscular tension or spasm
- Strain-counter strain, Post-isometric relaxation, and muscle energy techniques
- Instruction in therapeutic exercises
- Hydrotherapy (the application of hot/cold water or towels to the affected area)
- KT taping
Naturopathic Physicians help the body to heal by optimizing macro and micronutrients with dietary recommendations or supplements. Dr. Melissa holds additional certification in Plant Based Nutrition and can help you get started on a healthy whole food, plant based diet. Or, we can help guide you to make small changes in your nutrition to make a big difference in how you feel. Food is medicine for the body, and everyone's body is unique and deserving of love. Whether your goal is body-positivity, fueling for athletic performance, fueling your brain better, or optimizing function--we are here to help and support you without judgement or shame. Hey, we love chocolate cake too, and there isn't anything wrong with that!
Sometimes the body needs a big boost of vitamins to kick start the healing process and rev the energy engine. IV therapy bypasses GI absorption issues and provides nutrients straight into the blood stream. Depending upon your specific case, we may recommend an injection or infusion of B-12, B-complex, magnesium, vitamin C, or other nutrients. Please note that our facility is only able to offer this in a limited capacity due to federal regulations; we are able to refer you out to other specialty providers for more complex formulas if needed though.
Pharmaceuticals, Lab Work, Imaging, Exams, and Referrals
Did you know that Naturopathic Physicians are trained to perform all the duties of a Primary Care Physician in the state of Oregon? If you need lab work done, we can write the order and send you to a commercial lab at any major hospital or laboratory to have your blood drawn and the tests done. If you need a refill or a new prescription of a medication, we are most likely able to write the prescription. Naturopathic physicians may prescribe medications in the State of Oregon from a specific list, which includes most medications needed in primary care. We also can order imaging, such as MRI or x-rays. And, we can perform most physical exams. If we can't take care of the need, we can refer you to the right doctor, physical therapist, occupational therapist, speech therapist, or other provider to meet your needs. We're here to take care of your primary care health needs and wellness!
Specialty Lab Tests
Are you looking for a specialty lab test or functional lab testing? We offer US BioTek, ZRT, and access to other functional lab tests. Additionally, you get a discounted rate on many functional lab tests when you order through us at your appointment. Schedule a free 15 minute introductory consultation or appointment to learn more!